Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Laura is coming!!!

I am sooo excited!!  My friend Laura just let me know that she's booked a flight and is COMING to visit me in November!!!  Oh man, I can't even wait. 

Last night I hung out with a friend that I met randomly in Outback Steakhouse.  Funny story.  She heard me speaking English.  She made the first move.  I'm so glad she did because at the point I'd been here for only 2 months and wasn't feeling desperate enough brave enough to start approaching random English speakers.  (I'm there now so I am so so so so grateful that she spoke to me!!  I totally get it!) 

It was a great evening of English speaking, eating, drinking and good company.  I miss speaking English so badly.  What I really miss though, is something I haven't even had until now.  I miss speaking English with another foreigner who understands what I'm going through.  Is it any wonder that I rely on our blog network to share/discuss information about the goods, the bads and the uglies?  I don't have any other social network that lets me vent and observe in the same way.  That, of course, is part of the sacrifice of living in the suburbs of the city.

I've started to realize that if I really want some friends I've got to just go for it.  Just be honest.  I'm starting to just say it.  I'm telling my students.  Guys, I got no friends and ps. don't speak English like that.  I'll travel distances. 

Do you guys want to come to Rio for a weekend in August?  There is a big multicultural event happening over 2 weekends and I figure, what better time than that to come together.  The dates are 20-22 and 27-29 of August.  I'll get more details and post!

3 comments:

  1. Grrrl - you KNOW I will be at your party! Let's make it a regular thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooo Hoooo! Got to love the friend visit!!

    I second Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm only just reading this now, which I am ashamed that it took me so long to read. That being said, I'm so freaking excited to come and see you. I talk about it constantly. I'm just taking the steps right for getting my visa and trying to decide if I am vaccinating myself against yellow fever or typhoid. November can't come fast enough!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...